Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Red Eyes On Orange Horizons


JJZ: Hope Warhorse is new to you. I really like his gimmick and moveset. I think he is perfect for this independent wrestling climate. I also think matching up polar opposite wrestling styles makes for a great match. Warhorse's run through a brick wall mentality vs Orange Cassidy's whatever attitude was so good. I think this match broke down into two sections. First WH trying to take Cassidy's head off and Orange trying to slow it down. Then WH pissing OC off enough for him to actually care. Really good stuff here. I popped like a maniac for the Superman punch/ Mdriver combo. Don't think I've seen him do that before. Hope you enjoy baby cakes.

CJD: Warhorse is indeed new to me although I've heard his name quite a bit lately. On first watch his gimmick feels like he belongs in a stable with the Ring Crew Express as their heavy. As a standalone singles guy I don't know how I felt about it. At times he amused me but other times I felt like maybe he was buying into his own act a bit much? You know how Cyber Kong went from the joke being he had abs drawn on to legitimately acting like a badass at times? That's the vibe I got here, only I don't know Warhorse's evolution, so I don't know if it felt earned. But now i have a reason to watch more of him and find out! Either way, this match was kind of focused on silliness breaking down into serious business so all of this worked pretty well. One of the things I really dig about OC is how much thought you can tell he put into the gimmick before rolling it out. There's layers to it and I never know exactly how he'll react in different situations but he clearly does and it always feels right for him. This match is a great example of that and while it didn't blow me away, it did feel like it would fit in perfectly in the middle of a classic Michinoku Pro card, and that's a type of match I'm always game for. Good stuff! Beyond rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment