Tuesday, August 20, 2019

If I Wore A Mask


Mistico VS La Sombra VS Volador Jr VS Felino - CMLL Relevos Suicidas Mascara Contra Mascara 3/19/2010


CJD: This right here, this is a big time match. We have two singles feuds, one between Volador Jr and Mistico, and one between Felino and La Sombra (Andrade Almas), coming together in a gimmick match that I've never seen outside of lucha. As a tag it's called parejas suicidas, where the losing team has to face each other in a singles match immediately following the tag with either their mask or their hair on the line. Here it's a four way singles elimination match, but where the first two wrestlers to take a fall have to face each other in a singles mask VS mask match. With me so far? Good!

Not to spoil too much, but this basically unfolds as a three act play. Act 1, the rudos (Mistico & Felino) team up against the technicos in what feels much more like a Texas Tornado tag. Act 2, where we have a 3 way on our hands to see which two wrestlers are safe from putting their mask on the line. And Act 3, the main course. I enjoyed the first portion of the match the best, there's a great chaotic flow to it that I found really beautiful. Felino is a personal favorite of mine, he's the kind of wrestler that can make the most out of a few minutes here and there in a trios, so it's great to see him with such high stakes on the line. Mistico does a fine job working heel but he's definitely a natural babyface. Luckily this match is more about the action than it is about the morality play, and there's plenty of drama involved given the stipulation. I'm loving this trip down lucha libre lane. Thanks Tarzan Goto!

JJZ: You typed a lot of words there baby cakes. I'm excited for this match. Love me some big time shit. Gives me all the feels. Did Mistico always use the bells in the beginning of his entrance? My son is watching this with me and he is NOT a fan of the intro music. Starting fast, I like it! Question Chris, would Arena Mexico be one of your top five venues you would want to watch wrestling in? Your breakdown of the match is spot on man. Honestly I'm not happy about the first elimination, I would have loved to watch it keep going at that point. The psychology of Mexican wrestling is always a little hard for me to figure out. Not in a negative way at all but I can never predict what is gonna happen. That being said this is so much fun to watch with so many "oh shit!" moments. You can't take you eyes off it for a second. Once again the crowd is on fire. Like a soccer crowd. That powerbomb on the ramp hurt my insides. And the finishing stretch was edge of your seat kinda shit man. Good stuff baby.

CJD: I didn't notice Mistico's music, but my guess is it's different as a rudo than it was as a technico. I would say yes to your Arena Mexico question, experiencing the history and the culture live would be amazing. Glad you enjoyed it so much! I was really into this one.

Editor's note: This match has been taken down since we originally shared it. We'll check back periodically to see if we can find a new link. We apologize for the inconvenience!

No comments:

Post a Comment