Tuesday, August 22, 2023

I'm In Search Of The Lionheart


CJD: There were a few factors at play when deciding if I should play this match forward. First of all, I feel like Friend of the Blog Mr H has played both of us quite a few hidden gem ECW fancams from this venue. Second of all, the match has that hidden gem feel for the first half... then falls apart a little bit. But third of all, man do these guys work their butts off to still deliver a good match, despite it clearly taking its toll on both of them. So mix that all up, marinate it in a 90s ECW stew from our high school wet dreams, and serve with tempered expectations for what you're actually going to get... and I said, let's do the damn thing! Pun intended. I was pleasantly surprised by how punchable RVD's face was in this match. He was an underrated smug prick in this era even if he was clearly transitioning to cool heel. Jericho was an effective babyface too. There was a lot to take away from this, even the post match, and I could see someone saying the match had more flaws than positives. But for the FanCan Connection's tastes, I bet you'll be allll about this one.

JJZ: First first first of all. I 100% played this match for you before. Either from my 20 something disc ECW comp or my Best of Jericho RF video comp. Either way I'm super fucking excited to review this since it's been at least 10 years since I watched it. Now you know, I'm a RVD mark. I'm not as much of a Jericho guy as some people, but his ECW run, that I do love. And this is fucking ECW grade A material. I don't know why but I just love the shit Van Dam does. He did a spring board flip off the guard rail and I loved it. It's so wild how some wrestlers you can just enjoy their moveset over others. Jericho is working his tail off in this one. Everything he does he has to earn. I could watch ECW all goddamn day. Recently I've only been watching current NJPW and I'll tell you what, I enjoyed this match more. Well done baby cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment