Friday, November 17, 2023

Forever Forward Fridays


CJD: Did you know that Yumiko Hotta also competed in MMA? And lost a fight to Gabi Garcia? Now you do! I learned quite a bit about her and Mariko Yoshida researching this match. Yoshida is a curious case to me, as some people consider her an all-time great, and there's flashes I've seen in what I've watched. But she's never jumped off the screen to me. I did learn that she innovated the Air Raid Crash while reading up about her career though, which was also news to me! Anyway, about this match. It's a masterful performance from Hotta working on top but giving a very competitive match to a rising star. I knew Yoshida was in for a beating heading in but was pleasantly surprised at how she brought that fight and how Hotta played off it. This is not a match where everything is hit perfectly but that's half the charm. This is a match that will make you wince and say "god damn!" on occasion. And I'm curious if you can find gold with Mariko based on the reputation she has in some circles. But mostly I'm curious how you feel about this match JJZ??

JJZ: This was a really fascinating watch man. It felt like a fight between an older and younger sibling. The older one, Hotta is just kicking the shit out of the younger one Yoshida but every now and then Mariko is able to pop Yumiko really good. Hotta's no selling on a lot of the punches added to that vibe also. I did not know the Hotta fought in MMA before, that's pretty fucking wild. You can see she can kick the shit out of someone in this match. All the powerbombs, back drops and piledrivers were wincing moments like you said. I really did find myself pulling for the PUB (plucky underdog babyface!) by the end. That finish was pretty sick. Enjoyed this one man.

No comments:

Post a Comment