Tuesday, January 2, 2024

What You Gonna Do About It, Tough Guy??


CJD: I feel like I've been serving you up a lot of "pleasant surprise" kind of matches up until you dropped that Bennett/Inoue gem on me. Nothing else that's cracking any real star ratings, but fun watches that will exceed expectations. And this... is another one of those matches. But Jim Duggan is a complicated case, a world class brawler for a short period in the '80s, turned to a super protected and well, boring top babyface in the early '90s. I'm sure if I dug deeper I could find some more '80s greatness like you did. But this one popped up and while I kind of knew what we'd get best case scenario, I thought about the boxes we were checking. WCW Saturday Night, you know that's buttering our bread. WCW Duggan, a period nobody ever thinks to look twice at. And an under the radar 1994 Vader hoss fight. How am I going to pass that up?? I'm not, and while this isn't on the level of Vader working the cast of great babyfaces on the WCW roster he worked magic with, it's still pretty fucking good given the circumstances. And even with a bullshit finish, they put a nice cherry on top to wrap up the post match shenanigans. It's also very interesting seeing Vader work this style match compared to his great chemistry with Sting or Dustin. So yes, another pleasant surprise, but given the circumstances I'll gladly take that from 1994 Jim Duggan!

JJZ: WCW Saturday Night might be the best weekly wrestling show ever. It produced so many amazing matches and moments. Man, this is hands down the best Dunggan match I've seen from this era of his career. And it's not from being carried at all. He totally held his own with Vader. Really dug down and brought his 1980s level shit. The fans were on the edge of their seats during this. I fucking loved Jimmy D leveling the playing field with the 2x4 and those comeback punches were straight fire son! Wish it was a clean finish but I get it. Both guys came out looking good and that's what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment