Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Tuxedo Terry Terrorizes The Garden State


JJZ: CJD! I really truly hope this is new to you. I sat and watched this like a little kid on Saturday morning. I need more of these matches. Bob was still in his white meat, baby face role at this time while Funk was in his scumbag heel run. I'm watching Backlund trying to wrestle his classic technique while Funk is just trying to turn the match in destruction and chaos. Going after the crowd and destroying the furniture. Wild ass match. The test of strength was one of the best I've ever seen. That really made the match for me. Bobby B is someone I honestly forget about, which makes no sense. He is unbelievable. Now Funk is just fucking god. Before finding this jewel, I got to watch a bunch of Terry Funk 2000s WCW matches. And you know what?  They were so much fun. You almost got a Kevin Nash vs Terry Funk hardcore title match!

CJD: Camden Community College. John Arezzi. Dennis Coralluzzo. Cactus Jack on the undercard and I don't recognize a single other name until the last three matches. Chi Chi Gomez doesn't even have a link on cagematch! A no-linker! Hat guy in the crowd if I'm not mistaken?? And Terry Funk vs god damn Bob Backlund in the main event. Is there a better example of the state of pro wrestling in the USA in 1991 than this insanity?? This match had some not great reviews as I was reading up on it and I'm not having any of it. Sure it was a little slow at times but what in the world would anyone expect. Backlund still works the hell out of that side headlock and little things like the bridges, leverage, kicks to the stomach, meat slapping goodness on some chops and open hand shots, this match makes a lot out of a basic structure. Then of course the crowd work and the once in a lifetime ambiance. I was talking to you as I started watching this about the craftsmanship that goes into two all timers delivering a match like this on this kind of stage. I found it funny when the commentary echoed the same exact thoughts three decades in the past as it played out. John I loved every minute of this, including a very nice piece of business to button up the finish, but I gotta say... I'm dying to see this Kevin Nash match!!

No comments:

Post a Comment