Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Need For Speed


"SpeedBall" Mike Bailey Vs Matt Riddle - OTT 3rd Anniversary 7/10/2017

JJZ: This was the very first match that came up when I started searching for Bailey. And I said "fucking A!" Besides a Riddle no-sell that I didn't like, this match over-delivered and I had high expectations going in. I knew with both guys having martial arts backgrounds that we'd have some nice square offs. Wish I was live for this one. I think this match is a great snapshot of current independent wrestling. Both guys wanted to put on a show and prove that they are the better worker. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

CJD: To quote one of my favorite co-workers, I never want to yuck someone else's yum. And after reading comments and reviews about this match the general consensus is definitely yum. So here's what I liked about this match. The sparring felt organic and unpredictable which the commentators did a good job accentuating. Bailey looked like he believed with every ounce of his being that he could beat Riddle's ass which I loved. And that finish, oof! But at the end of the day, you compared my match last week to a schoolyard fight, and I'll take a John Carpenter fight scene over a wuxia kung fu movie any day of the week. But I know most people love Crouching Tiger so who am I to yuck it? You often want more from a match, and this is just one of those cases where I wanted less. The yin and yang of pro wrestling fandom I suppose. There's a reason Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream... and I'd still recommend So Delicious Snickerdoodle over every single one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment