Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Japanese Bulldog


CJD: What a joy to watch a match like this from the fan's perspective, really capturing that live atmosphere and giving you an idea what it was like to be there for a smaller AJPW show in 1992. This was uncovered by the guys over at Segunda Caida for their New Footage Friday feature which is something I will gladly plug that everyone should be checking in on from time to time. This match was fascinating, it had some moments that soured me on it a little here and there, but overall what a fantastic performance from Kikuchi and Kroffat. The camera work isn't perfect but can you imagine the camera that this guy had to sneak in and discretely function to pull this off in Japan in 1992?! I loved Kikuchi's physical energy and body language, he looked like he was about to burst the entire match. His timing and sense of how to build the finish gave me a whole knew respect for him. I'm debating if he makes my Greatest Wrestler Ever ballot and I need to figure out where he disappeared to on the card from 1995-2000 because early 90s and early 2000s Kikuchi is an open and shut case. And Kroffat's greatness here is self explanatory, he just gets it, he's so on every moment he's involved. I thought Furnas and Kawada were more along for the ride honestly but they both had their moments and overall I loved getting the chance to be a fly on the wall for this previously heavily clipped match.

JJZ: Well, Kikuchi has had his ass handed to him for two straight weeks now. That was a beat down to say the least. They made you want that hot tag so bad just so Kikuchi could get a breather! This jawn was stiff baby cakes, man did I find myself saying "ssssshitttt." Everyone does their job well in this match but let's cut the shit, Kikuchi was the star. Ricky Morton level selling. The fan cam aspect added a lot because I felt like I wasn't supposed to be seeing this assault. The Doug and Dan are a great time. I honestly forget about them a lot, they bring so much physicality and edge to their matches. It's crazy to think that Kawada was the smallest part of the match. But he is Kawada and watching him kick the shit out of people is always fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment